An update today from Nepal on a story I've been following for two years: Contrary to what a number of media reports suggested last week, lack of enough evidence has prevented police from filing murder charges against the three people identified as suspects in the alleged murder of American woman Aubrey Sacco, who went missing in 2010.
Nepal's Central Investigation Bureau (CIB) arrested the three suspects Friday in connection with the possible murder of Aubrey, an athlete, scholar and musician who as I reported for ESPN had gone missing from the Langtang area of the Rasuwa district of Nepal more than three years ago.
According to a CIB official, a preliminary investigation did not find any involvement of the three accused in the possible murder. So on Sunday the CIB charging them with misbehaving and using abusive language against the police, under the Public Offence Act.
The District Administration Office Kathmandu has remanded them to police custody for seven days.
“We have not arrived at a conclusion yet and the investigation is still under way,” DIG Prakash Aryal, chief of CIB reportedly said.
A Nepal police spokesperson said that although police are still questioning these men, they do not seem to be connected with the case.
Aubrey's mother, Connie Sacco, concludes that "there is no proof" these men murdered Aubrey. Meanwhile, Connie and the rest of the Sacco family, as well as and many loved ones and friends, continue to search for answers and remain hopeful that Aubrey will be found alive.
In April Aubrey's family announced a prize of $25,000 to anyone who could provide information on their daughter´s whereabouts.